Sunday, September 12, 2010

I've found a cello teacher now. Perhaps that is helping motivate me to practice? Makes sense to me. Anyway, I practiced again today, this time I lasted for about an hour. I started out with long tones and the slide/stretch exercise that Erik Friedlander has on his "Make it Count" cello practice series. I have some things to work on that both of those exercises showed me. I think as I do them more I should build up more endurance so my tone during the long tones can be more straight and not as wobbly as it was today, and the stretching helps my left hand out so I can reach those crazy extensions since my hand is small.

After that, I worked on A minor. Got it up to quarters at 75 from memory. A small start, I suppose, but nothing too drastic. Then I took a short break to look and see if I could find Galamian scale materials online, which I couldn't without paying a hefty sum. So I'll place that on my wish list for now and then got back to it with the Klengel Vol. II book, this time staying on A minor. I only got through the first scale variation though before I moved on to the first movement of the Beethoven A major sonata. I resolved that I would start at the beginning and just play, and then the first major mistake I made I would stop and work on. Well I made it 38 measures. Not bad, considering I hadn't played it in a few months. So I worked out those two sets of two measures (38-40 and 42-44) and got them sounding decent at 110. All I have to do is bump up the tempo of the whole thing to around 120-130 and then we'll be going. That, though, is tomorrow's project. As I was finishing I was getting pretty tired (as it is now 10PM) and I decided it'd be best to stop now and get sleep and then resume tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment